At the Cedar Rapids Public Library, we strive to create and maintain a quality library experience for every customer. That experience presumes that we respect each other and refrain from behavior that disrupts the enjoyment of public spaces and services.
Our policy intends to:
- Protect the right of patrons to use Library property, materials, and services;
- Protect the rights of employees and volunteers to conduct business without interference;
- Preserve Library materials and facilities from harm; and
- Ensure the safety of Library patrons, employees, and volunteers.
Library employees will bring to an individual's attention any behavior that disrupts the enjoyment of library services. Employees will work with patrons to change disruptive behavior. Employees are empowered to apply an escalating level of service reductions should the behavior continue. Employees are expected to contact and involve law enforcement as appropriate to stop illegal acts or curtail repeated behavior.
Example behavior that interferes with the rights of others:
- Leaving children under age 10 unattended.
- Any unreasonable noise.
- Profane, obscene or abusive language; racial or ethnic epithets.
- Any harassment or intimidation of staff or customers.
- Intentional damage, destruction, or theft of library property.
- Disruptive physical activity – running, skating, roller blading, ball playing, cycling.
- Camping, sleeping, or the use of bed rolls.
- Any misuse of food.
- Abuse or improper use of furniture, equipment or materials.
- Gambling, panhandling, or soliciting money.
- Monopolizing or obstructing space, passageways, furniture, fixtures or equipment or blocking access to the library or any part of the library.
- Fighting, challenging someone to fight, or physical abuse or assault.
- Possessing weapons of any kind, concealed or openly visible, on Library premises with the exception of those allowed specifically under Iowa law.
- Engaging in or soliciting a sexual act. Indecent exposure.
- Improper dress, including bare feet and no shirt.
- Distributing or posting unauthorized literature.
- Being under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Bathing, shaving or washing clothes.
- Any possession of animals, other than service animals.
- Offensive body odor.
Revised: 02/2015, 08/2015, 07/2017, 8/6/2020