Public Display Art
At the Cedar Rapids Public Library we value civic engagement and free expression of ideas. We recognize the tension between providing organizations with opportunities to express their ideas and the need for an uncluttered, professional library facility.
Exhibits shall have one or more of these attributes:
- High quality, original art by Iowa artists;
- A theme related to Library services, collections or programs;
- The ability to bring together Library materials from several subject areas which relate to a theme of current interest;
- The ability to inform patrons of current issues, events or other subjects of public interest.
- The ability to heighten the Library’s presence and impact in the community.
In order to display art, the following must be understood by all parties:
- The library assumes no responsibility for theft, loss, damage or destruction of items on display.
- All displays must meet existing State and Federal laws on obscenity, libel, defamation of character and invasion of privacy.
- The library does not accept responsibility for ensuring that all points of view are represented in any single display. Permission to display materials does not imply library endorsement of content, nor will the library accept responsibility for the accuracy of statements made in such materials.
- Displays of original art will be accepted by library staff. The Library reserves the right to refuse exhibits which, in its opinion, do not further the library’s mission. By choosing not to display any art, the library is not commenting on the value or importance of that art.
- The group or individual preparing the display may include name, contact information, and price of work (if applicable.) Sales are between artist and buyer.
- The library will designate spaces for particular types of displays to make best use of display units and/or to make displays accessible to the intended audience. The library will seek to be innovative and flexible in the display and use of art.
- All displays must adhere to established guidelines for installation.
A single group or individual may be limited to a single display in a twelve-month period. Length and parameters of all displays are determined by Library staff.
Revised: 12/2010; 2/2011; 01/02/2020, 10/06/2022
Reviewed: 2013, 11/2015