After we published a list of children's books for Pride Month, CR Pride asked us to also make lists for middle school and high school students. We will hand out bookmarks with these book lists at the CR Pride festival, and we wanted to share them here, too.
Dr. Rudine Sims Bishops coined the phrase, "Mirrors, Windows, and Sliding Glass Doors" when referring to books. That means books should offer mirrors where readers can see themselves, windows where they can see lives and experiences different than their own, and sliding glass doors where they can feel transported into the world of a story and build empathy for the characters.
With our book collection, we strive to make the library a place where LGBTQ+ youth, and all youth, can seem themselves, and where others can find a window into their lives.
Scroll through the titles below and click on book covers to learn more about them and put them on hold in our catalog.
- "Felix Ever After" by Kacen Callendar
- "All Boys Aren’t Blue" by George M. Johnson
- "The Black Flamingo" by Dean Atta
- "Beyond Magenta: Transgender and Nonbinary Teens Speak Out" by Susan Kuklin
- "You Should See Me in a Crown" by Leah Johnson
- "I Kissed Shara Wheeler" by Casey McQuiston
- "Last Night at the Telegraph Club" by Malinda Lo
- "Heartstopper" series by Alice Oseman
- "Cemetery Boys" by Aiden Thomas
- "When the Angels Left the Old Country" by Sacha Lamb
- "Gender Queer" by Maia Kobabe
- "Darius the Great is Not Okay" by Adib Khorram