Did you receive an ereader as a gift this year? Downloading ebooks from the Cedar Rapids Public Library is easier than ever. Follow these helpful guidelines or visit the help section of the OverDrive site for more information.
To checkout and download you need…
- A valid library card
- Internet access
- A computer or device that meets the system requirements for the type(s) of materials you wish to download
- Free software for the computer or device on which you wish to use the materials available at this site
A guided tour of this service is available…
- To take a guided tour of this service, click here.
- You must have the free Adobe Flash® Player installed to view the guided tour. To review system requirements and download Adobe Flash Player, click here.
Step 1 – Download and install free software
Download and install free software on your computer or mobile device.
To enjoy Kindle Books all you need is a Kindle device…
- Kindle for PC
- Kindle for Mac
- Kindle for iPhone®
(also works on iPod touch®)
- Kindle for BlackBerry®
- Kindle for iPad®
- Kindle for Android™
- Kindle for Windows Phone 7
- Kindle Cloud Reader
To download Adobe eBooks on your computer, you need Adobe® Digital Editions.
To download and install Adobe Digital Editions, click here.
To download Adobe EPUB eBooks on your Android, BlackBerry, or iPhone device, you need OverDrive Media Console v2 (or newer).
To download and install OverDrive Media Console, click here.
To download OverDrive titles, you need OverDrive Media Console™. OverDrive Media Console is available for…
- Android v1.5 (or newer)
- BlackBerry v4.5 (or newer)
- iOS v4 (or newer)
- Mac OS® v10.4.9 (or newer)
- Windows® 98 SE (or newer)
- Windows Phone 7
Step 2 – Activate the software
Next, you may need to take steps to activate the software you installed in Step 1.
Adobe Digital Editions requires activation.
Adobe Digital Editions can be activated anonymously or by using an Adobe ID. Anonymous activation allows you to download and read DRM-protected eBooks on a single computer only. Activating using an Adobe ID allows you to download and read DRM-protected eBooks on multiple computers and transfer them to supported eBook devices. For more information on activating Adobe Digital Editions, click here.
OverDrive Media Console for Android, BlackBerry, iPhone/iPad, and Windows Phone 7 may require activation.
If you want to read Adobe EPUB eBooks you need to activate your device using an Adobe ID. For more information on activating OverDrive Media Console, click here.
OverDrive Media Console for Windows requires a security upgrade.
OverDrive Media Console for Windows utilizes Windows Media® Player 9 Series (or newer) to play DRM-protected files. The first time that Windows Media Player attempts to open a DRM-protected file, it will alert you that a security upgrade must be performed before the file can be opened. The upgrade takes just a few moments.
Only OverDrive Media Console for Windows requires a security upgrade. All other versions of OverDrive Media Console do not require security upgrades.
- For more information on OverDrive WMA Audiobooks and upgrading Windows Media Player, click here.
- OverDrive MP3 Audiobooks do not require the Windows Media Player Security Upgrade.
Step 3 – Check out, download, and enjoy
Browse or search the site for downloadable materials. When you find a title you’re interested in, add it to the Cart and check it out.
Once you have checked out a title, a download page is displayed. Click the ‘Download’ link to start the download. When the download is complete, open and enjoy the title.
You will never accrue late fees with titles you download from this website. Titles expire at the end of the loan period, and they are automatically returned to the Library. For more information on the borrowing titles, click here.
Explore your options…
- Search for digital materials using the advanced search page.
- Take digital materials with you on-the-go. Many audio titles can be burned to CD, and most audio titles can be transferred to supported portable devices.
- If you come across a title that you are interested in checking out, you can add it to your ‘Wish List’. For more information on your ‘Wish List’, click here.
- If a title is not available, you can place it on hold. For more information on placing holds, click here.
There ere are a variety of devices compatible with the Cedar Rapids Public Library OverDrive ebooks, including (but not limited to) Windows or Mac computers, Barnes & Noble NOOK, Kobo eReader, Pandigital Novel, Sony Reader, Literati Reader, Amazon Kindle, Apple iPad, and Apple iPhone.
Ebooks can be found with our downloadable audiobooks on our website www.crlibrary.org. Click on the Overdrive link under eLibrary to get started.