If an item you are seeking is not available at any library in the Metro Network (Cedar Rapids, Hiawatha or Marion), we can often get it from another library through Interlibrary Loan. If the item you are seeking is less than one year old, please submit it as a suggestion for purchase.
The Cedar Rapids Public Library charges $3.00 for each interlibrary loan received from another library within the state and $5.00 for any out of state item. Many items are available for only our basic $3.00 charge, however the lending library may charge an additional $20.00 – $25.00 dollars. Please state the maximum you are willing to pay in the request form.
Guidelines for Interlibrary Loans
1) You must have a valid Cedar Rapids Public Library card to request interlibrary loans. If you have fees of $20 or more, your request cannot be processed.
2) Please check the library catalog to be sure that the material is not owned by any Metro Library Network library.
3) We will process up to five requests per patron at one time. This includes requests that have already been submitted, but are not yet completed. Fill out a separate request for each item.
4) You can access the request form by logging into your account with your library card number and PIN. Click “ILL Request/Purchase Request” and select “Interlibrary Loan” from the drop down menu. Complete the form and click on “Submit.” If you need help, please call the Library at 319.261.READ for assistance.
5) Items are coming from other libraries and we cannot guarantee how soon an item will be available or for how long you will be able to borrow it. Due dates for interlibrary loan materials are set by the lending library. To see if interlibrary loan materials are renewable, please call the library at (319) 261-READ at least two days before the item is due.
6) Please do not remove any labels or bands that identify the item as an Interlibrary Loan item. Interlibrary loan materials are borrowed from other libraries. Please return them on time!