The Cedar Rapids Public Library is a department of the city of Cedar Rapids and open positions are posted on the City’s website. Please visit the City of Cedar Rapids website for current openings.
You are passionate about our products, from downloadable media to hard covers. You are not ashamed of your love for pop culture; from the newest Beyoncé release to James Patterson prepubs, you know what’s hot and whose holds lists fill up quick. You are the champion for intellectual freedom and our collection philosophy, ensuring that staff and customers understand what public libraries are all about – free access to all. You understand the importance of a popular-browsing collection that reflects our community and helps our customers transform their quality of life through education, civic engagement, the arts, and entertainment. This position will specialize in materials selection and maintenance for the adult print, audio, and digital collections.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
70% MATERIALS SELECTION AND MAINTENANCE
- Selects and purchases materials for designated collections in a popular browsing library
- Researches and recommends current and best practices for collection management, new products and services
- Responds to patron requests and inquiries for materials
- Catalogs and classifies newly acquired library materials
- Makes decisions on weeding, shifting, replacements, and repair of library collections
- Tracks the materials budget for their designated collection
- Develops readers’ advisory materials and trainings for staff
- Assists Materials Manager in developing budgets and acquisition plans
20% PATRON ASSISTANCE
- Greets patrons and provides proactive assistance
- Provides advanced personalized advisory services to patrons
- Assists patrons with library account maintenance (check out, placing holds, fines)
- Helps patrons with advanced reference and tech assistance
- Promotes library services, programs and offerings
- Provides handoff for supervisory or management support as needed
10% STAFF MENTORING AND ASSISTANCE
- Takes initiative in educating library staff on services and technology through both informal on-the-job training and scheduled refreshers
- Provides leadership and support to other staff
- MLIS and any combination of the following
- Six months to two years of similar or related experience, required.
- Six months to two years of customer service experience, required.
- Bachelor’s degree, required.
- Proficiency with a second Non-English language, preferred.
- Mental Health First Aid Certification, required or ability to gain in the first 6 months.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work varying shifts, including evenings and weekends, required.
- Ability to be mobile 100% of the time. Ability to bend, stoop, reach, and push a loaded wheeled book truck weighing up to 100 pounds and ability to lift up to 35 pounds unassisted, regularly and up to 50 pounds assisted occasionally required.
- Ability to interact, communicate and present a variety of topics in an engaging way to all ages
- Ability to create relationships and work closely with volunteers
- Ability to pass all local school district back ground checks and be present on school property
- Ability to provide advanced advisory services to patrons in all collection formats and genres, and expert advisory services in one area of choice.
- Advanced knowledge of informational databases and third-party library content applications such as Overdrive, Kanopy, RBDigital, etc
Intermediate technology skills for Windows, Word, Excel, and Outlook, required.
- Intermediate skills in SirsiDynix suite of products, preferred.
- Willingness to learn on the spot in front of people and to continually learn new things on the job.
- Ability to communicate new ideas, products and services in a positive and engaging manner.
- Enthusiasm for an environment of constant change.
- Ability and eagerness to participate in all steps of an experimentation process; setup, implementation, feedback and data collection, refinement, and assessment.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to focus on the customer, show integrity, be inclusive, enjoy learning and have fun.
- Ability to successfully work with varying demographics, required.
- Ability to exercise confidence and excitement in the vast technological and online resources the Library has available.
- Passionate about the mission of public libraries.
- Comfortable with the principles of intellectual freedom and patron privacy.
- Ability and willingness to complete other duties assigned as deemed necessary by Materials Manager.
Ability to adhere to CRPLs Core Competencies:
- I am customer and community focused.
- I am a self-starter and have a strong work ethic.
- I am flexible and embrace change.
- I am open to feedback and being vulnerable.
- I am understanding and compassionate.
- I am cooperative and a collaborator.
- I am an effective communicator.
- I am emotionally mature.
- I am responsible and honest.
- I am creative and try to find a way to say yes.
- I am a continuous learner.
- I am fun and serve with a smile.
- I am self-aware.
- I am a leader.
To apply by July 13, 2018, please include resume and cover letter with your official City of Cedar Rapids application: