The Cedar Rapids Public Library is a department of the city of Cedar Rapids and open positions are posted on the City’s website. Please visit the City of Cedar Rapids website for current openings.
You are the champion of lifelong learning. From story time to STEAM program, cooking club to Raspberry Pi, you have a passion for the participatory library and can create and present engaging and dynamic experiences to all ages inside the library and out in the community.
Who you are:
- You have a passion for working with the public, from babies to seniors, and everyone in between.
- You embrace current technology, and are hungry to discover the next new thing.
- You love to play, learn, and explore.
- You get programming and have experience in designing, preparing, promoting, implementing delivering and evaluating programs.
- You make friends and find opportunities to create partnerships.
- You’re a natural communicator, whether in a small group or in front of a crowd.
- You are a creative problem solver.
- You know that playing is learning, and the experiences patrons have in our libraries make lifelong learners.
- You engage well with others and are passionate about providing an exemplary customer experience.
- You are a team player who thinks quickly on your feet and can lead from within a team.
- You are a connector, working with stakeholders to enhance library programs and services.
- You are fearless, always willing to tackle challenges and handle surprises with grace.
- You embrace the library’s mission, vision, and values, and can apply them to your daily operations.
- You develop goals, plans, programs, services and procedures for lifelong learning at the library
- You take charge with grace and confidence.
- You take the initiative, working together with your colleagues to find solutions.
- You embrace innovations including tools and practices to produce an effective and efficient operation.
- You understand the strength of collaboration and support your colleagues in bringing great ideas to life.
- You understand our community’s needs and how the library’s services can meet those needs.
- You have the energy to juggle many tasks with a smile; you are out on the floor, giving a tour, scheduling programs, coordinating with staff, or planning outreach.
- You demonstrate excellent communication skills with staff, customers, community partners and library leadership.
- You do the right thing. Every decision you make and action you take is an opportunity to demonstrate our collective integrity.
- MLIS and any combination of the following and six months to two years of similar or related experience, required.
Ability to adhere to CRPLs Core Competencies:
- I am customer and community focused.
- I am a self-starter and have a strong work ethic.
- I am flexible and embrace change.
- I am open to feedback and being vulnerable.
- I am understanding and compassionate.
- I am cooperative and a collaborator.
- I am an effective communicator.
- I am emotionally mature.
- I am responsible and honest.
- I am creative and try to find a way to say yes.
- I am a continuous learner.
- I am fun and serve with a smile.
- I am self-aware.
- I am a leader.
About our Community:
Cedar Rapids, Iowa is a vibrant urban hometown in the heart of east central Iowa. With a population of 128,000, we are the second largest city in Iowa, and home to some of the busiest libraries. Cedar Rapids is an award-winning city with opportunities for arts, culture, recreation and community engagement.
To Apply by October 12, please submit an application, resume, and cover letter: